Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaisyPlantLady

In reply to: D. Scorps!

Forum: Carnivorous Plants

Back to post
Photo of D. Scorps!
DaisyPlantLady wrote:
Hi Tommy,

I ran into you on the Orchid Forum some months back - you were growing a Masdevallia. How did it do? Mine is still hanging in there. Alive for 10 months - an all time record!

I was looking back through photos in this forum and you seem to be a major contributor. I am curious about what you are doing with your Sarracenia. They look like they are in tubs - do you move them in and out with the seasons? Or are they permanent? I used to move mine in and out each year but planted them in permanent bogs in my yard 2 years ago. I can\'t move them in so cover them with burlap in the winter so they won\'t dehydrate and let them freeze solid. They did great last winter but this winter is much colder. I have all my fingers and toes crossed.

I noticed your Drosera are also outside - I have always kept mine in my greenhouse (between the tree frogs and the Drosera, its very bug free in there). One escaped into the outside bog last summer (it must be from seed) so I am anxious to see how it fared over the winter. I would like to add more Drosera to the bog outside so will have to look for some cold hardy types. I have never been successful with Venus Flytraps although it seems to me they would be like Drosera.

My current project is Cobra Lily from seed. The Serrancena I grew from seed two years ago is about to go outside so the Darlingtonia can come out of the refrigerator and go into the greenhouse - hopefully I will have little Cobra\'s running all over the place in the next month or so.

Photo 1 was taken in September. Photo 2 was taken today. The bog is outlined by the bricks (that are holding down the layers of burlap). The brown bump in the middle is the plant in photo 1.

Daisy