Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Fungus gnats, 1 by adeniumgrower

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright adeniumgrower

In reply to: Fungus gnats

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fungus gnats
adeniumgrower wrote:
Sunflower, just as the first true leaves appear, but before they grow at all. I\'ve found to NOT fertilize, just ProMix and water, they get astringent with too much food.

And here you might see a tray of cabbage that I just harvested this morning, the slow-to-germinate seeds are just showing through the (too many!) stems. I\'m going to let them grow leaves--- I have a couple of trays with baby leaves after having harvested the tiny ones, cotyledons they are called. broccoli and beets.

I have a couple of books, one by Jean-Martin Fourtier, about making $100,000 a year on two acres growing vegetables. I really noticed his comment about how he\'s supplying two grocery stores with baby greens! And my only sprouts book, \"Year-Round Indoor Salad Growing\", about sprouts grown in \"soil\", harvesting ten days after planting. He mentioned a home business could bring in $35k a year.

Now I\'m facebooking with others who are getting started. One fellow said he took some arugula sprouts to a restaurant, and they ordered two pounds right off the bat!

I\'m eating big platefulls of greens now, easy! Yum!