Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 5 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
Hi gang, :D
Been a little busy, sorry. Glad to know all are alive. Soooo...what does everyone think about the \'new\' format? Let\'s just say I don\'t like it. A few others I\'ve talked with don\'t care for it either.

Aren\'t them little bubbly cacti cute! :D They just make you smile when you see them!
I haven\'t grown anything from seed because I am not a patient soul. When I say a cacti grows fast that means maybe an inch or two a year or maybe a new arm. In comparison to plants like perennials or annuals these things grow at the speed of molasses in January. So for $2.00-$4.00 each I just buy them already full grown/mostly grown and pop them in the bed and let \'em go crazy.

It didn\'t take long to amass a good sized collection or for them to take off. Also since my space is limited I buy them as individuals so that each one can be just a little different and they stay there as permanent plants. Unless I kill them or choose to move them, I don\'t dig them up. They\'ve got a permanent home in their bubble bed. :D

Some how I couldn\'t see walking out of a big box store with flats of cacti! For flowers I do agree, seeds are the way to go. Bulbs I know can get quite pricey even for a few. They do sell bulbs in a bulk bags though don\'t they? I seem to remember having seen them that way when I looked back East.

I have no idea what cacti are germinated in but I know we can not use regular potting soil. You have to use soil specifically designed for cacti.
There\'s a cacti-citrus-palm soil mix that we use out here to grow everything. Seems to work well as long as you keep it well drained. I do know that most people start their seedlings indoors and then move the pots outdoors when the plants are established. They wait a few months or even the next season before popping them in the ground. There\'s a big difference in light, air temperature, heat, etc. so the adjustment time is slower. Because of the space needed inside to grow them and the fact I don\'t have an enclosed patio so this also kind of limits my growing.

I did turn our \'office\' into a sun room for my plants but they are for the ones that are in pots and just won\'t weather the winter well. Half of them almost died in my back yard due to the yucky soil and lack of shade.

Sorry to hear about the MRI. I swear these doctors don\'t do this stuff because you\'re sick. They do it to cover their butts. I\'ve taken to refusing a lot of stuff. \"But you need that.\" No I don\'t. Why? I don\'t want it, I find it superfluous and unnecessary and repetitive. If you can\'t justify a legitimate medical reason for me to get it done then I play the HIPPA card. I am refusing medical treatment I don\'t want otherwise it is complimentary and I will let the insurance company know.

That MRI sounds horrible. It has been quite awhile since I had one, have they changed them? It seemed wide enough although it was low ceiling wise. I felt enclosed but not closed in. I\'m not claustrophobic though so maybe that change\'s my perception.

To not fit though would be terrifying. Things like that have happened to me where it is terrifying when you feel trapped or stuck or can\'t get lose out of something or away from someplace. It is indeed an awful experience.

You can laugh but with me I usually get my hands and fingers caught in things and can\'t get them loose!

Since they\'re little I assume I can reach, grab, and squeeze them into every little nook and cranny to get things I drop or that roll away and then wonder why I\'m stuck with my hand under the refrigerator for 3 hours until my husband comes home from work to lift it up and release me. (LOL)
Well...my wrist slid under real nice but it didn\'t slide back out. It kept getting stuck on the grate at the bottom.
Keep well and happy folks.
Looking forward to Jim and Kay\'s return.
I\'m freezing here. Lot\'s of hot tea! For the next 2 weeks I have to cover the plants because it will be between 36-26! Yep. Literally freezing.

Peace. Out.
TTC

In honor of the new \'changes\' the song for the day is \"Don\'t Go Changing I Love You Just the Way You Are\" by Billy Joel.

Here\'s some plant photos.

An aloe I brought in this summer. It is thriving. It will be reintroduced outdoors this coming spring

A Saguaro cactus grown from seed. I didn\'t grow it a friend did and gave it to me.

And just some bubbles.

Oh and because I had the camera out there\'s the face that\'s always in my face!