Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Fungus gnats, 1 by adeniumgrower

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright adeniumgrower

In reply to: Fungus gnats

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Fungus gnats
adeniumgrower wrote:
Oooo, what is left of the seed, do you mean the seed coat? Never. That's where E Coli and that other one hids.

I am growing "Soil Sprouts" which are completely different from "jar" sprouts. I put a couple of inches of damp ProMix, which is a peatmoss mix, in small pans, scatter the soaked seed on top, then cover with folded, soaked newspaper. The newspaper keeps the seeds wet, and the growing sprouts have weight to press against when they are pushing their roots into the soil mix.

After three or four days in a dark cupboard, I bring them out into a bright window to green up and grow a little more. I get long stems this way. When they are right, I cut them just above the soil. The leftover soil mix, roots and all, go into the compost.

I learned this from a newly published book by Peter Burke, "Year-Round Salad Gardening" He fiddled with the technique for a whole winter, using his left over seeds from his summer time garden, in Vermont. GREAT BOOK!! Well thought out, and worth every penny. I really enjoy having a big pile of fresh cut greens on every plate of food I eat! And I feel the difference, too.