Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 5 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
Hi everyone :D

Yes, been very occupied and pre occupied. That's good I guess since most of it is positive and good stress.

Carrie I'm glad you're doing well. I'm worried about Jim and Kay and family. I feel so bad as they seem to have had so much going on. :(
I also get a little worried when you go quiet. It just makes me worry about everyone and if they're doing o.k. not just bodily but on the inside also. This can be a hard time of year for a lot of people.

I guess in a way it is kind of good Dave and I are/were used to working holidays (prison, retail, grocery jobs). I found either a lot of our group either gets real depressed or it just seems to roll off of them and feels like 'another day'.

The weather helps and doesn't. It is nice to get up and see the sun and be warm but it is kind of hard to think of X-Mas trees and a white X-Mas when you live in a desert and the temps are what they are right now. I tried to generate a little 'holiday cheer' with the Santa Hats in the yard and the bow. Only so creative you can get out here. I know my neighbor's kids get a kick out of it. (LOL) and that makes me smile. I used to live back East and seem to remember the holidays being so much more fun during this time. Maybe it was just childhood memories of "X-Mas cheer"?

Then again when I think of the Bible and Jesus being born in Bethlehem, and the mention of places like Egypt and all of the other Biblical story locations I'm sure there weren't too many "White X-Mas" either. Cold desert nights,yes...snow, I'm going to say maybe not.

Aside from my hand I never had to go to PT. I just find my gardening, walking the dog, gardening, literally building my raised beds and sometimes some Pilates (Ha-ha-ha ROFL now). Sometimes I'll just stretch and reach or bend when sitting, standing and laying down. For some reason it feels real good and relaxes me and makes me feel like I 'pushed' my muscles a little. I think it would be beneficial. If not for the body at least for the mind.

Bet's
I'm sorry you fall. :[
Heeey....guess what? I do too. Never knew we had so much in common, right? :D

I also am sorry the linoleum thing doesn't work out especially since it is so easy maintenance.
I guess with me it doesn't quite matter what I put in the house so I just put what I like. They build things on cement here too. I'm due for new carpet (hopefully income tax return time). I try to get really good padding. Area rugs became my best friend in bathrooms and kitchens. And I have a pair of garden clogs I never wear out of the house.

They're my exclusive kitchen shoes for baking, when I cook using heavy or big pots, etc. They have the rubber traction soles like chef's clogs but at 1/4 the price. In the house I'm like you, always in slippers, grippy socks or my fuzzy warm socks. I try real hard not to fall on my head
but with me it's kind of arbitrary from day to day. (eye roll).

Your garden planning sounds so exciting. I'm jealous of all the time and thought you get to put into stylizing and personalizing it. I remember growing tomatoes and Morning Glory seeds in egg cartons during the winter and then planting them in the Spring. It was fun. :D

I brought some of my Agaves and potted small pole cacti indoors and converted my office to a 'sun room' for the plants. My desk is in a nook off the room and hall. It is a fairly deep nook and the desk fits the wall perfectly so it works well. Hey...if DH can have his wires all over the house I can baby my plants a little right?

I like looking at the catalogs too but they're usually so overpriced when it comes to cacti, Agaves and Aloes and the plants really tiny. I have much better luck just cruising the Big Box stores and garden centers. I've gotten great plants at very reasonable prices and a lot of them were fairly large to start with. :D (Bonus since some of these things grow slooooow.)
Still enjoy looking at the pictures though and making 'wish lists'.

When's your Birthday! I always believed that was one day that should be celebrated. It is YOUR day so it should be a celebration of you and for you and about all the things you like and enjoy and just a day to appreciate the things in life that matter to you. I find it is wonderful to just celebrate yourself sometimes. I think we all need to and may not do so often enough. We make time to honor holidays, Sabbaths, and others. Do we ever make time to 'honor' or celebrate 'ourselves'? I've been trying to do this sometimes.

Thanks for the compliment also on the bubbles! That's what I call them because they were all tiny,round, and 'bubble' looking when I got them. I have this odd space smack up against the side of my house that is only 1.5 feet wide but 14 feet long! I had no clue what to put in it so I did cutsey little things. Thus the bubble garden was born! :D

Here's some older pics of my bubble garden. I'll have to take more recent ones. It has filled in considerably since these pictures. I bought lots more 'bubbles'. :}

Have a great day everyone.
Hugs to all,
AG