Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Struggling (?) Calathea in my cubicle, 1 by BlackThumbOhNo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BlackThumbOhNo

Subject: Struggling (?) Calathea in my cubicle

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Struggling (?) Calathea in my cubicle
BlackThumbOhNo wrote:
Good morning,

Last friday I made a small terrarium with a large vase I had on hand. My mom gave me a really pretty Calathea, which we split down the middle and transplanted into the vase with african violet soil and gravel on the bottom. I now know that Calatheas are difficult plants and an office environment with no natural light and dry air makes it even harder to keep alive.

My Calathea looks fairly good as the stems are not drooping but the leaves curled up the morning after I repotted it and now a small leaf on the bottom is completely yellow. I gave it quite a bit of water the first day but haven't watered it since then as the soil is still wet. I think I may have put too much gravel in the bottom, because I can see water in the gravel. I have been spraying the leaves about 4-5 times a day while i'm at work.

I would like to know what I should do to get the leaves to uncurl and if I should snip off the yellow leaf on the bottom. I'm also wondering if they just curled because I repotted and the plant is traumatized. It has been a week and they are still not uncurling. I have attached 2 photos of the plant for reference. Please let me know if you need more info. :)