Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Home projects in the Midatlantic Forum Fall 2015, 1 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: Home projects in the Midatlantic Forum Fall 2015

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Home projects in the Midatlantic Forum Fall 2015
coleup wrote:
When I last posted, I was about to meet with Roto Rooter for another estimate. Basically recs to replace were the same as other companies except that in pulling a new line in same path of old if they ran in to problems with roots or previous repairs the cost and time would be on them and my original estimate would be my entire charge, They also have their own equipment and do not contract out the excavation. The companies that do contract out are 3K more per estimate and the company they contract out with only does the excavation, drill for new line and then I would need a plumber to 'connect' (not included) although they use 50yr rated pipe as replacement warranty. Interesting division of labor and services.

Three of the companies recommended an entirely new line be bored directly from meter to house rather than existing 40' up and then 70' shapr dog leg to left to house. In anticipation of new line I decided to relocate my vintage camper and a duplicate parts van and redo the front of my yard. So I called Tow Truck Man to come down and move them and haul away another vehicle for some cash. It turns out he used to do water main and sewer replacements! His main thing now is masonry and a lot of handyman thrown in. He also helped us rig up a hose from a working part of water main to outside hose spigot so we cave running water instead of buckets and bottles He encouraged us to rent a ditch witch and offered to come down and pick it up and run it as we are leery, and do what ever else we want for a junker car he has had his eye on! (Drawback is having a licensed plumber bill and certify system repaired so can get water bill reduction)

As soon as we finished our paper route Sat am Wayne and I went to check out the ditch witch rental at HD. Unfortuneately theirs only went down 18" so they sent us to another heavy equipment rental place where we found we could rent a heavy duty trencher, track driver for a weekend for daily rate including trailer for about $250.

Encountered some interesting characters as we were leaving rental office , one of which is pictured below. To be continued....