Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: Which of these causes leaves to turn purple or red? , 1 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: Which of these causes leaves to turn purple or red?

Forum: Voting Booth

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Which of these causes leaves to turn purple or red?
Agavegirl1 wrote:
This is a great topic and very educational to all of us it seems, especially those like me that don't grow "typical" foliage plants that do change colors.

I don't know about everyone else but I do think this would make a great article...If you wanted to put the time, research and explanations into it Melody!

BTW gorgeous cactus you photographed. They're sloooooow growing. Mine is almost 7 months old and all it has done was get a little bigger and more glochids on it. It hasn't gotten any new pads yet. :( By contrast those Beaver Tail p.pears were about 4 inches tall each when I bought them at the same time and only a branch or two. Now they're over a foot and you can see them go!

I don't know how fascinating everyone would find the colors of plants and why they change or don't but I know I sure would! It seems to me I can never find enough S.W. plant/gardening articles dealing with cacti and cacti varieties.

O.K. here's another lovely that looks even prettier when stressed. The whole thing will turn yellow, orange and red. Fire sicks. The second plant is an Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose. Gets really cute red tips on it. Easy to grow, fast grower, clumper and you can break pieces off to keep it spreading.