Photo by Melody

Bulbs: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?, 5 by gemini_sage

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gemini_sage

In reply to: What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What new bulbs are you planting and where did you get them?
gemini_sage wrote:
I've been working on an area I call my "sky garden" where I use blues, yellows, and white. A big chunk of it had become infested with bind weed and I put black tarp over it for a year to solarize and help deal with the invasive vines. This spring I started planting and added roses, a bunch of irises, and a handful of other perennials. A lot of this years bulbs are for that area and how nice it has been planting in a bulb free area where there are no worries of getting too close to already present bulbs- oh how that sound of biting into an apple while sinking the trowel into the earth makes me cringe! LOL

The sky garden consists of 3 beds, and all 3 have been expanded. Besides the one above, another has a blue spruce that had browning bottom branches and those limbs were removed. That added a big area to that bed, as well as the recent removal of a big patch of ribbon grass. The 3rd bed also had a big patch of ribbon grass that I dug out a few days ago. This left all 3 beds with big, bulbless patches...which I simply cannot have, LOL.

In youth the only daffodils I typically saw were various yellow trumpets. When I started buying bulbs as a teen I wanted different- not what I saw everywhere else. Well into adulthood I saw yellow daffs as common and steered away from them. Now that I'm well into middle age I'm rediscovering the good old yellow daffodil. So that's why my Brent and Becky's order is so heavy on various yellow trumpets and large cups. Its funny how our tastes and perceptions change and evolve as we get older.

The first photo is where the spruce was limbed up. 2nd is a combo I was really happy with, Anemone blanda "blue shades" and Tulipa sylvestris. 3rd is another combo that made me happy, of daffodil 'Wave' and hyacinth that was supposed to be Delft Blue, but looks more like Blue Jacket. The last 2 are the bed where the tarp was, but that part is blocked out of the photos.