Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 5 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
seacanepain wrote:

It’s good for the young ones here to see that article, Carrie. The Oklahoma Dust Bowl is part of Amargia’s history in a way. Miss Helen was a garden mentor and remains a guiding spirit for all of us here. She came here from Oklahoma in the 50’s. There are many former Okays in this area. Vivid memories of living through the Dust Bowl years are why Amargia is so firmly committed to no-till growing methods. We don’t even own a tiller

Kay and Nadi both say writer’s block is a reality. Could this be your first experience with it? Kay’s solution to writer’s block is to go on a reading frenzy. She intentionally reads in genres she would not normally. I would be more likely to suspect that whatever is causing your loss of appetite is causing a general malaise. I refuse to consider a brain tumor until the test results come back. It has got to be a spooky Halloween season for you with that hanging over your head. Have you been able to set up another appointment time all the doctors can agree on?

I appreciate the info, Beth. I tried growing Hellebores from seed once, but it was a failure. I don’t have the patience and consistency to be good at seed propagation.

There were several varieties on the PDN site rated heat hardy to Zone (9. That is what I was looking for. We are officially in Zone 8b, but I’ve had better success with plants rated to Zone 9. It probably doesn’t matter as much with plants for the shady woodland, but I want to try the more heat hardy varieties first and get to know Hellebores better before trying some of the more marginal varieties.

LOL. I’ve finally got the two letter code for all the “A” states in my head. AR is Arkansas. Don’t ask me about the “M” states though. Is MS Miscopy or Massachusetts? It was the longer abbreviations I was originally taught too and I remember them fine for all the good that does me now. We are in the Wiregrass area, sometimes called the Tri-States, because it is where Alabama, Florida and Georgia come together. Panama City, FL is the closest city of significant size.

TTC, I will send the dragonfruit plant the first of November, if that is okay. It’s getting cool here and the tropicals and tender succulents have gone into the greenhouse. I’m afraid I will goof up one morning and forget to open the greenhouse in time and the things in there will cook. I’ve written several times about the extreme difference between daytime and nighttime winter temperatures here. Forgetting to open the greenhouse in the morning could be a disaster. I’m getting a better idea of all the little things Kay kept up with and I don’t trust myself to remember them all yet. I know you have an over-abundance of gift plants at the moment, but it is safer in your hands than mine. An AZ winter will be kinder to dragonfruit.

How is the world treating you today?

Susan, I’m a native of Red lion, near Harrisburg. The Christian summer camp my parents sent me to when I was 8 or 9 was in your part of the state. It has a rugged beauty.

Pool walking would be more my speed. Lol.

After procrastinating for weeks, I finally got around to picking up that load of mushroom compost yesterday and unloading it today with Tigger’s help. (Kay slept to 3-o-clock today, but she overworked a little yesterday so I’m not too worried.)

Photo #1: Don’t look, TTC! I personally think spiders have a sinister, elegant kind of beauty. At 3 inches, this isn’t our biggest specimen, but I liked the markings on her

Photo #2: It looks like the honeybees will have their chance to harvest this bed of anise hyssop. It went in late and I wasn’t sure it would have time to flower before cold weather arrived.

Photo #3 & #4: I caught the angel’s trumpet’s last performance.

Photo #5: I weeded what we call the Butterfly Landing Strip yesterday and didn’t see a single flutterby. They were all over the front walkway bed though. I know now what to plant in the BLS for next season.

(Jim)