Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by BetNC

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BetNC

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
BetNC wrote:
TTC I is HERE!!! Just busy putting my gardens to bed - then several days recuperating from each major chore!!

I got the back gareden and my patio ready for the winter. (I overdid my playing in the sunshine! I pulled up all the marigolds in the back and piled them on my handy-dandy manual off road vehicle - hehehe - it took two trips to take them to my front garden to dump them where they'll be turned under as "green manure". My garden helper emptied the all the tomato contasiners: I got soaking wet spraying everything down:water, then a weak bleach solution to sanitize and finally water again to wash every trace of bleach off!! Afte4r letting everything dry in the sun, I stacked and stored everthing: for NEXT year's Jungle!!!).

I also fertilized ALL my lenten roses in my side garden; I only have eleven but getting to the five in the back of the garden meant standing up with my back on the brick outside wall, scooting my way down ~20 feet while being splayed against the wall trying to find SOMETHING to hang onto!!! I've decided to let my garden helper do THAT chore from now on!

I have my first bloom in my side gareden!! This is Helleborus niger 'HGC Josef Lemper', one of my clonal varieties. It's also my smallest (about 8-12 inches) and blooms from October to February. (Yes, even with snow on the ground!)