Pacific Northwest Gardening: Alstroemerias, 1 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

In reply to: Alstroemerias

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Alstroemerias
Pistil wrote:
Both the Alstroemerias are still blooming. They bloom in flushes all summer long.

velveteena- Euphorbia ruined one summer of mine- Roundup killed those invasive roots, which could grow 10 feet in all directions in a single summer! I never planted Jupiter's Beard due to it's reputation. My mom had some in Bellingham, it did spread, but not thuggish (on soggy boggy clay). I had the yellow-orange California poppies when I gardened on beach sand, they popped up everywhere (but not to the point where I was swearing, and on sand a tap root is easily pulled), now here on clay I cannot get them established.
momlady- My neighbor has a little patch of Convallaria, I have worried for years they will invade, but they have never jumped over the invisible property line. I wonder if the lack of summer rain here keeps them from being so aggressive?

Beesbonnet- Actually the blue flower shown in July with the 'Yellow Friendship' Alstroemeria is Salvia forsskaolii, the only Salvia I seem able to keep here on clay. It is very floppy and weedy, but I love the flowers which bloom for months. The Alstroemeria and the Salvia lean drunkenly on each other, and are quite the friendly pair, holding each other up.