Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners, 1 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of #20 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
Hi Bets,
Yep...not a stone mason or brick layer. Like I said, I got rough hewn stone brick that wasn't perfectly square. You know the kind that's kind of { on the sides. Well, doesn't fit together smoothly or line up evenly the way flat, square brick does. So...yep had to basically lay out the whole wall to make sure I could do it with this brick and get the brick reasonable "square" so the whole bed wasn't lopsided or leaning. This then meant, I had to take the brick off in the pattern in which I put them on (smart enough to keep them in order!) and glue them down.

I did know brick won't hold unless you use cement/mortar. Just couldn't get to that until I knew my "brick" would actually form a structure. Sigh.....
That's why I said it would have been smarter of me to "look at pictures" using this kind of brick to get a visual of how they laid it out to make beds. Duh....! (LOL) Nope, too easy. No job is a good job unless I make it 2xs harder than it needs to be.

It is really pretty funny though. Oh well, at least I got a great workout and am 95% done. I have a second bed going. All that's left is to Quickcrete the one layer. Pretty darn effective even for my goof! Husband came home from work and about fell over at what I did. He said it looked pretty good and couldn't believe what I got done by my self.

Told DH the reason Rome wasn't built in a day was because they didn't let women build it! Probably would have been facing backwards but it would have been done in a day! :D
Better yet, if we were in charge of constructing Pharos's pyramids the Exodus would have happened 100 years earlier (ROFL).

Now you be nice to them 'maters! I say so. Just go pick them, let the little dears ripen, and then give them away to someone or let your kids take them to school to give to the teacher. You can always give them to the guys in the maintenance truck cruising around your place. Who knows you may get a date! (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Oh yes...plan on rewarding my self with some pasta and home made sauce ( I have to use canned tomatoes :[ ...you won't send me any) and a nice bubble bath. Did sleep like a dead person last night. Nothing like complete and utter physical exhaustion to provide the best nights sleep ever.

Easy day today of seeing if I can save a potentially rotting pole cactus (got to look inside) Poor thing got so water logged in a time when we had about 5 days of non stop rain. They rot easy. So it is just a matter of cutting it, checking and then letting it callous over for about 2 weeks and replanting it. It will be much shorter but much healthier and grow faster. They already grow very fast!

Sorry about another Drs. visit. Yucky! Not a fun way to spend the day. Tell them you need to come to AZ and do physical therapy. Sit on porch, drink something cold and instruct simpletons on how to make raised flower beds!

Here's something that says it all about me! I.Q. of 162 but can't figure out how to lay brick, turn off the timer on the stove or use the remote for the TV!