Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: DAILY PICTURES # 111, 1 by Lily_love

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lily_love

In reply to: DAILY PICTURES # 111

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of DAILY PICTURES # 111
Lily_love wrote:
N.A.N. Good question, I guess I haven't questioned that myself. I assumed that they maybe busy hiding from predators during the day hours, and come out to eat at night. Just a self-protective mechanism? That said, for those I have been watching the past few days, they were busy eating, occasionally I'll see a few wandering off the MW I anticipate they will molt one more time before they turn into chrysalis. But, a few hours later, they returned to eat again. :)
This early morning I found two more chubby instars, the same size as what I've indoor. This evening I found 3 more of those big chubby cats. So that means these were from the same first batch that I discovered first week of Sept., now well onto the second week, I'm looking forward to see them shed their skin for the final time.

1. Fresh cuttings MW, at these size, I have to provide twice this amount, one in the morning, one at night. Clean the frass (cats poop) out at least once a day. Remember to wash hand real well afterward.
2. Ju, this is my outdoor tropical collection. They enjoy the growing season outdoor, until first frost hit, then I move them inside.
3. Ah hah, I noticed that the egg that I found on Sept. 3rd, the egg itself has darken, ready to hatch, this is outdoor, so I'll be looking for that tiny 1st instar on the same plant in the morning.
4. Those chubby 3rd instars, there are roughly 20 of them munching days/night, whenever I happen to pass by, they're busy eating. :)
5. My first, and only Sulphur chrysalis.