Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Plant It and They Will Come #7 Eggs and Cats Oh My, 1 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: Plant It and They Will Come #7 Eggs and Cats Oh My

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Plant It and They Will Come #7 Eggs and Cats Oh My
coleup wrote:
Hey, I am very new at this Monarch raising, only my third year! If I am 'expert at any part of yhis it is in finding eggs and then having the courage to hand raise them to do my part to keep their migration going for the next generations, like my grandkids and Joyana and JR and Jan's tribe!

Gita, if it turns out that there is a chrysilis or two by swap time you are first pn my list to take
it under your wings and witness the transformation of emergence as a butterfly!

Egg laying had hiy a five day lull but just yesterday a new female mama appeared and spent the entire afternoon laying eggs on whatever milkweed still looked good. Slim pickings on the Swamp MW as it has some sort of mildew/fungus crud. She did find the one still looking green and great Common MW and many of the leaves have two eggs each...about forty total.

Interesting thing, as I tried to get a photo of her she closed her wings and lo and behold she was tagged! That means someone else along the way or in the area had raised and released her. Hope she returns today and I can read that tag # and report it and find out where she came from and the person who tagged her can see where she went!

Reminder, order tags asap from Monarch Watch.

Wayne thinks I could catch her in my butterfly net! I think I will stick with my cell phone camera. Would lone to go up to Cape May NJ and see their tagging.