Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
Its a bit overcast here again as we had light showers yesterday. The two days before that were sunny and a lot warmer. It is quite still outside with the wind not arrived yet.
That is what always makes it colder here, so hopefully no wind today at all.
Nev , how awful for oyu to have all that damage.
I am really surprised though , as I am much further south than you and even though my broms are half in the open and half under the eaves, they still get all the cold and frost on their side of the unit.
All the freezing wind comes right on them . so I was expecting to see damage like yours when I moved here.
As I have said, there is only aech La Tigra that has a burnt leaf.
Other bills are hanging with him, but show no damage and the few that sit under him in the open are undamaged too.
It does pose a question as to how conditions can be similar but show such different effects.

I think you may be right about the air circulation around those you had on that tin. It could also hold the cold a bit more around them as that sort of material does keep the cold and heat more concentrated, being a solid and not open substance.

Perhaps you spoil yours a bit more too....lol
Mine have had to contend with awful conditions since I first bought them as pups.
They probably think here is great after their home at the old house.
Maybe the cold is different between here and your area.
I know that will sound silly to some people but there are a lot of degrees of heat and cold , sometimes in the same area.
We used to get the same temps on the hill as were down in the town , but plants were affected differently.
Strange thing, weather....

I hope you can salvage pups from those damaged and later from those without any as yet. ..

Teresa, , nice to hear you are enjoying the new job and have time to acclimatise yourself. It sounds like you are trusted to occupy yourself , being left alone for a while.
Give the boss lady at home a pat from me.

Trish, I hope your Mum is getting a bit of the milder weather I have had here.
I never bother to follow weather elsewhere so have no idea of what it has been where she is.
I saw in the paper the other day about people remembering when it snowed right in Melbourne back in the 50s.
I clearly remember that. At the time I was living with my first husband and children in a block of flats in Flemington. You could see the snow falling and it did get on the ground, but melted quickly.
It was the only time I ever saw it there, but I am sure it has happened before.

Brian, is the shadehouse full yet. ?...lol
I hope your broms are looking okay there.

Busy today so I had better get myself ready to go out.
More old pics again. vrieseas... ensiformis, Bobby, Golden Medusa..

Take care and stay warm
Jean.