Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
I am just popping in quickly as I have to leave early this morning.
I am off to Hamilton for an appointment.
Yesterday I went over to Mt Gambier , just for the drive as the sun was trying to come out.
Last time I went over, I saw some brolgas, so was looking out for them again.
They are one of our most lovely native birds, but are only seen down here after the rains have come to make the wet areas they like.
The black swans also arrive in large numbers along with the flocks of ibis.
I saw the brolgas again because I was looking out for them and they were right where I had seen them before.
My dear hubby always wanted me to see them , but in all the years of driving over there, there were none to be seen.
I have seen them up north in my travels, but it is so nice to see them coming back where they used to be . Its only for the warm weather as they will disappear again , once the seasons change .
I expect they will nest here then take the young back to the warmer northern parts later.
I did manage to get some pics as I remembered to take the small camera.
They posed nicely only about 10 feet away, then quietly moved back a bit when a large truck went by.
They were so lovely and it is always wonderful when something wild allows to you to be that close.

I hope everyone is enjoying some sunshine .
Better be off.
Jean.