Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
77sunset wrote:
hello everyone.
Still showery here, but not as freezing because the wind has dropped.

Nev, sorry to hear about your cold damage problems.
I agree that its not " global warming"
Looking back on the Earths weather history, it has been shown that the planet has had a history of hot & cold times, both lasting millions of years.
I think , because modern man has lived in a rather mild time by "planet standards " , everyone expects that this is the norm .
I bet they would all get a shock to see what has gone on in the early history of the dawn of man.
This has always been a moody planet and will go on being that , despite we tiny things running about on it...lol
If one looks around at the plant growth and soil areas on a large part of the world, its all what has evolved over thousands of years to cope with a hot and dry planet, that can sometimes also freeze.
This world of ours in not a Utopia as many think it was , and they keep saying man has ruined it.
I think more climate "change" happened quite often, long before man was even a dot on the horizen of time.
Enough of my soapbox speech, but it is true , we have caused a bit of damage with our machine age, but who can tell what would have been the climate anyway, if we had never appeared.

Nev, nice to hear that our opinions on the poster pic were so widely agreed with.
Sadly smaller flowers on bright plants get missed, so here is one showing off.

Trish, I see small green things about to spring up all over your place as you get into those seeds.
My broms are still looking okay despite the cold. I hope that the pups will all do well once removed after being sheltered by hteir mums.
Even the couple hanging up are not showing as much sign of the cold as I would have thought.

Teresa you will be interested to know that the hanging basket which cops all the weather , including any frost , is a basket of old faithful nutans ( the variegated one. )
Hardy little devil.
I am very pleased also with bill Hallelujah as even though it has lost all the chocolate color , it is still looking beautiful.

Hello Brian, love the look of the shadehouse, but you had better make a nice area for your better half so she wont object when you start on the next shadehouse, because you will need it....lol

Time I went , so i will leave a pic of my latest " creations" . A lady wanted me to make a tea cosy as she still use a little teapot.

The other 3 pics are of a dykia encholiriodes x brevifolia ( think I have that spelling right )
that I had at the old house. It was a very spiky thing and just grew all by itself with no water etc from me. .
As far as I know its still there as the succulents covered the spot where it was, but the long stem would poke up each year.
Nothing remarkable about dykias except for their spikes.

Take care and keep warm.
Jean.