Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 1 by seacanepain

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright seacanepain

In reply to: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
seacanepain wrote:
We’re doing okay. Just a lot going on. Water man found a hive of wild Italian honeybees in a box he was about to check. Getting him set up with a hive box and the equipment he needs to move them. Italian Leathers, an Italian honeybee of a warm brown color, are thriving in the wild in this region. They produce good honey. They are simply not the color most hobbyist bee keepers prefer. The fact that they have gone native so successfully tells me they may be a better honeybee for the area than the fuzzier yellows.
Kay has been busy and having some trouble with her screen access program, but she will work it out soon. She knows that program better than I do. It is best I stay out of her way.
Desert skies are amazing even without meteor showers. Nadi’s Dad was heavily into astronomy, but we gave away all his telescopes. Nadi says she will check it out with the naked eye tonight.
We had a young man here once who was schizophrenic and not taking his meds. He got it in his head that Fenny was some kind of hellhound, demoness dog. We tried talking him back into reality, but Fenny wasn’t helping. Opening her eyes very wide so they look almost like human eyes, jumping around in high places. She was raised by a cat and sometimes she seems to forget she is a dog. Displaying her vocal virtuosity from low grunts to a soprano whine high enough to hurt the ears.
R. is safely back on his meds and doing well. He was the picture of mental stability last time he came around to play computer games with Nadi. Fenrira behaved a normal dog and he petted her and did all the little things one does with friendly dogs. After his experience, I don’t believe he will ever be totally comfortable around her. She freaks out the northern neighbors too. The young man who lives back there shot her with a paint gun and Fen goes out of her way to freak them all out. She’s a big dog, even though it is mostly legs. She can be intimidating when she wants to be. A line of bristly fur down her back standing up like a Mohawk, ears flat and impressive teeth on display. She stays with Kay when she’s out in the gardens and no person unknown to Fenny or people she doesn’t like is allowed to approach to close. Most of the time, she is a big goofball, however, who makes people laugh with her crazy antics. We have the afternoon heat lightening also and Fen hates it. There must be some kind of herding dog in her ancestry. When it storms, she wants us all gathered in one place where she can watch us. As long as her pack or herd or whatever she considers us is where she can keep an eye on us, she is a happy pup.
(Jim)