Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 1 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Amargia wrote:
Agave, Jim doesn’t want to say it outright because he is not from this area and he does not want to perpetuate stereotypes about southern people, but the neighbors are racist and they are into guns and probably affiliated. People here are a little scared to do anything and I am certain the Feds are aware. I am local. I will say it because people like that are an embarrassment to the vast majority of southerners.

They’ve won the battle, driving we “communist hippie types” out of their area. We have no legal road now. We come and go by the graces of Alabama Power. Selling the land is impossible unless we sell to the creepy crawlies. (No offense to snakes who I have respect for.) I doubt it would even be possible to use this land as collateral in getting a home loan for the next house considering the road situation. It is illegal to sell land without a legal access. We are betting it is not illegal to give such land away. We just intend to see these scum don’t win the war. Do our actions make more sense now? Our country made a mistake when we started allowing hate mongers to hide under the umbrella of civil rights. They put up hateful signs during the Ferguson crisis. There is no doubt any longer.

Do not let all this bring the thread down. We are not down. We are happy to be leaving and looking forward to new things. Of course, I am very excited about the visual chip even if it does need work. I will love being a small part of developing and improving it. I just hope I qualify. My blood pressure was perfect at the ophthalmologist and I am in good physical condition for someone my age. Emery does genetic testing. It appears I will find out once and for all if I do have Marfan’s Syndrome or one of the closely related conditions. Atlanta, Georgia is only about a two hour drive. That is doable on a regular basis. The retinal re-attachment I had as a teenager was considered experimental in its time. And it allowed me enough sight to have a reasonably normal life into old age. I am happy to be a lab rat. I don’t believe the argus chip is as experimental as the retina surgery was. It is simply in its early stages where bugs will crop up and need to be worked out.

Welcome to the thread, Janette! My daughter toured Scotland when she graduated high school and loved it. Well, she loved the lower portions of the country anyway. She wanted to visit the old countries her family had come from and since she had a fraternal grandmother whose maiden name was Cribb, Scotland was on her list. Driving through the highlands she discovered she had a terrible fear of heights, but she was able to talk locals into driving her car through the more frightening stretches of road. Nadi is also of Scottish descent. We tease her about her family crest which shows three deer heads in profile and they all have their tongues sticking out. Nadi swears that is the original design. I guess her family has always had an attitude. If so, Nadi, is true to form. lol.

I told Jim he should borrow your dictionary, Agave. Six feet tall women do not coo. He stands by his word and insists I do coo over babies and certain plants. Worse, he remind me I have shrunk with age to 5’11”. I am afraid every one of his remotes is going to disappear mysteriously. Really though. Do you think you can find a word better than coo to describe that sound gardeners make when a plant they lust for is seen or mentioned? Coo really messes with my self image. Lol. I have a garden story I will tell you next time I visit that does involve cooing mourning doves.

I do love Corsican mint. It and ‘Kentucky Cornel’ spearmint will be my choices in a garden with more limited space. My broadleaf sage is curling under at the edges, but the pineapple sage is holding up to the sauna conditions well.

I have always been more drawn to the tall, columnar cacti, but I guess those are more vulnerable when freak weather comes, aren’t they?

Will those of you with experience give me the lowdown on H.O.A.’s. I’ve never had to deal with one. My knowledge of them comes from that Dean R. Kuntz horror story, The Association. lol.

Warning: Blind woman submitting photo. It should be Fenrira (Fenny-dog). Your guess as to breed is as good as mine. Her vocals make me think some sort of hunting hound. She bays more than barks.