Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It’s another beautiful day here today and I’m a bit disappointed I can’t get out in the garden, but I’ve been told I have to “take it easy” for 24 hours after the knee injection I had this morning.

I guess it’s a bit of a trap because it feels so good (because of the local) that I just want to get out and do the things I haven’t been able to do recently, but I was warned that this would be the worst thing I could do, so best to obey what the doctor tells me.

Trish – The Aussie Ruby already has a reasonable sized pup which I will keep for a spare, but as soon as the next one comes up, it’s yours.

I’ll get the seed off to you next week sometime but I don’t know whether it’s fertile or not as I’ve only just planted my lot last week, so fingers crossed that it will all grow.

I’m also going to use you and your Mum as “Guinea Pigs” because as well as the fresh seed, I’m also sending some surplus seed that has been stored in the fridge for quite a while now and I’m keen to see if it’s still good or not and don’t have the time or the space to do it myself.

I have grown it in the past and it was fertile then and there were some nice plants came out of it so hopefully there’s still a few more to come, however it was mainly part of an experiment to see just how long seed would stay good for when stored properly in the fridge.

That picture of Neo ‘Cat’s Pyjamas’ isn’t one of my plants, but one that Lisa Vinzant from Hawaii bred. It is most unusual, but unfortunately, to my knowledge isn’t yet available in Australia.

Your picture of Prince of Darkness reminds me that I have some small seedling of a cross I made of Neo. Prince of Darkness x concentrica which I must check on.

Anyway time to go again and a few more old pic’s to finish with, this time they’re all species Neoregelias. Pic. 1 Neo nivea, Pic. 2 Neo. correia-araujoi, Pic.3. Neo. compacta, Pic.4 Neo macwilliamsii (Not my plant and very different to the usual form) and Pic 5 Neo bahiana (Cobwebs and all)

All the best, Nev.