Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of LOOKING FOR SPRING..... BROMELIADS 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It was raining here this morning (23rd) but now,(12.30pm) the sun is shining and it’s nice and warm. I’ve just got home from the museum and will probably sort out a few of my Ae. recurvata and similar types in readiness for re-potting.

Trish – They say, “early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise” I wonder if it works the same way for women. I suppose you’ll be able to tell us in the next few days.

Brian – In 1988 we went to Brisbane to see the World Expo, and while there we visited many exhibits. It was the Queensland exhibit that sticks in my mind to this day mainly because of all the tropical plants and orchids, but apart from that, it was the first time I had ever seen Vr carinata. It seems they had taken a huge wooden pole (something about the size of a wooden power pole) and had covered it with thousands of Vr. carinata plants, all in flower and it was such a magnificent sight that it still remains vividly in my mind today. Certainly a great little species which is well worth growing.

I never thought about using plastic pallets straight on the ground; I have a couple that were given to me and I was going to make a bench out of them, but just another of my many projects that didn’t get done.

Well here it is now the 24th and no more new posts so I’ll just pop in a few pic’s of some of my more hardy Aechmeas to give you something to think about.

Pic 1 Ae. recurvata, Pic.2 Ae. ‘Inky’ , Pic.3 Ae. ‘Little Green Ruby’, Pic.4 Ae. ‘Blushing Pineapple’ and Pic.5 Ae. ’Little Surprise’.

All the best, Nev.