Greenhouse: Misting system, 1 by DaisyPlantLady

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaisyPlantLady

In reply to: Misting system

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Misting system
DaisyPlantLady wrote:
I do have fans, otherwise I would have a major mold problem. Keeping the air moving is important to the health of your plants. Moving air not only discourages mold and mildew but also forces the plants to grow stronger trunks and branches. Not a gale force wind, just a gentle breeze.

Temperatures inside my greenhouse range between the upper 50's in the winter to 110 in the summer. Outside, the lows are about -5 to -10 and the highs 100 - 105.

Misters: my first try was a Misty Mate system - a giant waste of money. The misters were either clogged or broken.

Second try, I built a system with 1/2 drip line and drip misters. It was more like a stream than a mist and kept my plants way to wet.

My final try is a Artic Cove Big Chill Personal Mister from Home Depot. I made my own hose because I wanted one with multiple bibs and I have the option of extending my hose length and adding more misters.

The timer is a great find - I went through quite a few of them too:

http://www.mrdrip.com/542--Solar-2-Dial-Timer_p_494.html

I'm attaching two photos. The cactus are on the west end and the orchids are on the east end. Also on the east end is a pond with a pump that I was hoping would provide sufficient humidity but it doesn't.

Daisy