Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners , 4 by Agavegirl1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Agavegirl1

In reply to: #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of #19 Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners
Agavegirl1 wrote:
HI Katie :P

Aloes are so cool. I've got some of those too that were just abandoned in planters from the previous owner of our home. They looked so sad and dried up in such a small amount of yucky soil. I transplanted them in the back yard and they've thrived and produced babies.
Yours must be fairly large and mature if they're blooming and you've got hummingbirds. How wonderful...especially since the whole lot were freebies! (Doesn't it just break your heart though to know they could have probably all been thrown out?) I only had one large enough to bloom. I'm looking forward to the others getting big enough. I want birds and butterflies.

I found some of the other interesting but non threatening species I have in my garden are the Tephro cactus articulates variety 'diadematus' or just your pine cone cactus. It looks like mine is getting ready to bloom. I'm all excited about that.
There's a Hesperaloe parvilflora (Redflower False Yucca). Really pretty and quite show stopping when it blooms. That definitely gets hummingbirds. Mine is still small but is growing rapidly. I expect by next year it will be big enough to bloom. They say it has spines although I haven't seen any. I do know the leaves can be sharp if you run your hands along them but most of us don't do that deliberately.
I have two very small and newly planted Carissa macrocarpa 'Tomlinson' the good old Natal Plum. Love it. Looks kind of like Jade. Nice ground cover/shrub/small bush. Easy to prune to whatever size you want. Does have a random thorn here and there but rarely will you run into them. Nothing garden gloves don't solve.

I'd love to see a picture of your Darwin's Hibiscus ! That must be quite a sight! Mammoth plants just fascinate me especially when they're the size of children, automobiles, or as tall as 2 story houses and look like they come from Mars. (LOL) My neighbors have Prickly Pears and an Agave ameicanas (Century Plant) that fit these exact descriptions!

I'll post some pics from my garden and of the neighbor's freaks. First 2 pics are some of my plants; last 3 are my neighbor's.

I'm familiar with dragon fruit. Quite beautiful. If it is what I'm thinking it is the white and pink one with the black seeds and the kind of curly green tendrils. I've seen them in grocery stores. Outrageously priced so I've never eaten one but certainly have admired them. Are you cooking or doing anything with the fruit?

I'll have to look and see where you are on the map also. Exploring Mexico less as a tourist and more as an enthusiast has always been one of my dream vacations.