Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Gone 3 days, worms ate my tree, 1 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

In reply to: Gone 3 days, worms ate my tree

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Gone 3 days, worms ate my tree
Pistil wrote:
#1 the new Cornus
#2 the Mountain Ash a few days pre-sawfly
(sorry about the order and the sideways-ness- I set up my new computer last night. Man is it fast but things are of course different.

Sequoia- I decided to yank the tree. It looks like the Sawflies have multiplied greatly since last year-I looked around and the naturalized trees are being decimated this week. So we are in the midst of a major sawfly advance. I considered spraying, but in general I don't do this in my yard, I am always fearful of killing the good bugs too, and neither spinosad nor BT (Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacterium that causes an infection in various caterpillars etc) are specific enough to tempt me to spray. I see so few butterflies anymore...And likely I would have to spray every year, what a pain.

I was actually planning to plant a native maple, either Acer glabrum var. douglasii (Douglas Maple) or Acer circinatum (Vine Maple). I liked VV's idea of planting a native, which would hopefully ensure site suitability. But I derailed myself with the grafted C. controversa 'variegata' ; )