Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015
77sunset wrote:
Good morning. My fingers are just thawing out after my walk in the frosty morning air.
brrrrrrrr....
There was frost everywhere, but its bracing to walk on such lovely calm mornings, even if I have to put my hands under the hot water tap when I get back...

So far all the frosts dont seem to be worrying my broms and other plants at all.
Other than they are losing some color due to the cold, they all still look great.
I think when I take the pups off in Spring, I will either give away or bin the old mothers as they are getting too big and with the extra pups being potted, I wont have much room.
The pups dont take long to grow nicely so I can have the space to show them off.

My daphne is flowering very nicely and the perfume at the front door is lovely.
My roses are starting to look a bit bare as the leaves fall.
They will getting their annual prune in another month or so.
I like to leave it until winter is nearly done, so they get a good start as the warmer weather comes in.
I have found, that in the colder areas down here, its better to be a bit later, as often the plants will start some new growth which then dies in the cold.

Not much else doing here. I have racked up my first 1000kms in the new car and it will have its first check next week. Just a quick check on all the main things and to answer any questions I may have.

Trish, so sad about your friend , but we will see you back later . I hope your visit with your Mum will help ease the sadness.

Brian, I guess I know how you feel about doing things yourself. I am like that too.
It took a while to get used to my dear hubby wanting to help when I was tackling some project...lol
That help led to so many laughs as we tried to combine both our independent natures to get anything done. We worked out that if I directed and he did most of the hammering, the projects were done mostly as I wanted..
The first shadehouse we built was about 10' x 12' and hubby said it was way too big, I would never fill it. ...lol
Six more shadehouses later, he was still laughing when he remembered those words..

Teresa, sounds like you are really getting along with all the learning. It will all be so handy for you in your work.
How is Miss Sugar doing when you are out now? I am sure Baz spoils her when you are not looking
I remember those early days of tearing up her blanket and the floor.
I am sure she is much too ladylike for such things now.

Time for another cuppa for me. I need it to hold and get my hands warm again.
Its going to be a lovely day as was yesterday.

Just a few old pics today..

Pink Iceberg. The Icebergs are some of the best roses.
Molineux, a lovely yellow.

Keep warm and safe
Jean