Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: Transplanted red raspberry canes turning black & rotten, 1 by Mraur

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Mraur

Subject: Transplanted red raspberry canes turning black & rotten

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Transplanted red raspberry canes turning black & rotten
Mraur wrote:
I dug out a bunch of red raspberry canes from my neighbor's garden and transplanted them around my garden last week but many of them are drooping over and turning black and rotten looking. Some are worse than others. Any idea what's going on with them? I know it's a bit late in spring to be transplanting them but this seems more severe than regular transplanting stress. My neighbor's raspberry patch seemed very healthy and I didn't see any signs of this when digging them up. I'm in zone 4B.

Fireblight, perhaps? (the worst ones look like they have that telltale shephard's crook). Nutrient deficiency or overwatering? I cleared away a huge patch of poison ivy and planted most of these around a birch tree, put down garden fabric and hemlock mulch around them. I planted some at the other end of the garden without fabric and just some leaf and straw mulch and one of these is infected, too.

Should I trim back the blackened parts and hope for the best or remove the canes entirely to avoid infecting the ones that are still green and healthy? Any insight would be much appreciated! :)