Central Midwest Gardening: Flowers in bloom and garden combos, 1 by brendak654

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright brendak654

In reply to: Flowers in bloom and garden combos

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Flowers in bloom and garden combos
brendak654 wrote:
Joyce - I see what you say with blooming comparison of then and now. No matter how hard we try, we never can accomplish all. My thoughts - have you ever had larkspur (picture 1,2,&3). They are annuals of course, but once you plant a few seed, they will probably grow and seed themselves here and there. I have never found them to be a problem. My penstemon bloomed for the longest time and it's about done. My other thought was maybe just the right clematis? That means a support..... You probably have a few ideas up your sleeve for the color prior to Asiatics and daylilies beautifying the area. Or maybe even take a drive and see what might be blooming somewhere else when you need bloom then?? Your bed (with both pictures) is loaded with a lot of good stuff. I wondered if your bed is in pretty moist area (not just because of recent rains) - if it is - that just might be why the coneflower frowns now and again? I was going to suggest red hot pokers - they are nice and spiky, but they don't like a lot of moist. Mine are finishing up now. Liatris is a fun spiky plant - I have planted several of them via bulb. Only thing, they are just now getting ready to bloom- below that is them the purple spike in picture #5. I like yucca, just don't have mine mingled in where they would really show up, but they are blooming now #4. I need to move a few of mine around or make notes to move them around llater, where they would show up better next year.

It is dry here and HOT today. The temp gauge said mid 90's. So here I sit at the computer.

My Yellow Happy Return Daylily and Stella's are blooming like crazy now and the road side daylily is getting going, too. So - Pepper - are you talking about an earlier blooming daylily other than the repeat bloomers I mentioned above?

Yes Pepper - would love to see your pictures - hope you can figure out the light problem.

brenda