Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: Is my Elephant garlic ready, Jo?, 1 by sybram

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sybram

In reply to: Is my Elephant garlic ready, Jo?

Forum: Texas Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Is my Elephant garlic ready, Jo?
sybram wrote:
Well, we had to repair fence all last week, since my horses were getting out, Of course, they waited each time until mom and dad were asleep before the wanderlust set in. The ground was so soft that the part of the split rail fence that was on a curve was leaning out a little and very insecure. You know, sometimes when I'm trying to teach those little suckers something, it just seems like I have to do it over and over and --well, you get my drift. I can't imagine how they remembered exactly where the weak place was, and without any prompting from me, pushed the rails out so easily. Sooo frustrating. I just love getting calls from the sherrif's dept at midnight telling me they're out. Grrrrr. I even wrote out my ad: Three very nice horses for sale. Love to travel, making new friends and connecting with old ones. etc.

We're done with the fence now, and I'm deeply in like with my pasture pretties again, so....

What does all that have to do with gardening? Just this: I was waiting one or two more days until my elephant garlic was dryer before I dug it up, but when we started doing fence work (mixing concrete, etc.) that all went on hold. Bottom line, I dust dug it all up today. It looks ok, but about 1/3 to 1/2 of the little bulblets have sprouted. Does that ruin them for planting? Or maybe I should go ahead and plant them now. I withheld watering while waiting for them to dry, but I guess they were still pretty wet from the rain. Also, I washed all the garlic off pretty good, and they are in a sunny place. Please advise.