Peonies: Crash course in Paeonia, 1 by rouge21

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rouge21

Subject: Crash course in Paeonia

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Crash course in Paeonia
rouge21 wrote:
In one of our only full sun locations on our property we have a 5 year old Lilac "Bloomerang". We have enjoyed it but as we completed more of our gardens further beyond this lilac it is now the case that when are on our deck or inside behind the sliding glass patio door it blocks our view of some of these gardens that you can't see from this shot (see below).

If I trim it then the # of blooms and reblooms is greatly reduced. And so my partner has agreed to replace it.

It is always exciting for me when some space is freed up for a new addition ;).

As previously mentioned this actual spot is one of the few places on our property that is full sun.

My partner wants a peony and I know nothing about them and have resisted their allure as what seems to come to mind for me is the 'stereotype' that they bloom with incredible flowers one day and then with a good rain and or wind all is lost. (I apologize in advance for this over simplification)

I am so looking forward to hearing your thoughts re possible choices of a peony for this spot. (Or maybe you think it isn't the best idea choice and could recommend something else.)

Are there some outstanding varieties you can recommend?

If we go the peony route we don't want a huge one but one rather more compact as I don't want it to take up that whole front curve as I have other plans i.e. plants in mind for the border.

Thanks in advance for your patience and experience.