Wildlife: Insects, 1 by Chillybean

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Chillybean

Subject: Insects

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Insects
Chillybean wrote:
There is no place for bugs in a forum except for identification and pest control :(, so I thought a thread here might work.

My interest began with the birds. When I began to pay more attention to them, I noticed the smaller things. I hardly kill native bugs any more, except flies in the house and I'll slap at mosquitoes. Ticks get dealt with. I find benefit to most of them in one way or another, if for anything at least food for the birds. :)

I mentioned in another thread here that my children think my interest in bugs is crazy. Yet, they now want to know the name of those they never saw before. A couple of months ago, the younger ones found an ant in the house. Overhearing their discussion of what to do with it, I had to laugh. They talked about taking it outside, but one said the ant would not be able to find its way back home. Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous, it's just an ant. But it is showing they are beginning to care about even the smallest things of nature.

Here is an insect from this year. A native to US ladybug, specifically a Pink-spotted. I have never seen so many before here. And lately they are mated pairs. I do not know why the increase. Maybe because of our native plantings, weather conditions... ??? But I am thrilled to have all these aphid-eaters around.

Anyone else have any insect photos or stories to share?