Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS GOING INTO WINTER 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Yesterday was another productive day for me here and I got half of my collection Seasolled. We had a bit of drizzle over night but as it isn’t raining now, hopefully I’ll get the other half of the plants done today and I can tick off another job as finished.

Jean – With your artistic skills, I think you are definitely in the right place at your “craft meeting”. What a great idea for people to come together and have a catch up chat while making something useful to later be sold at your hospital fete. I hope your pic’s for calendars include some pic’s of brom’s; you can spread the word about these wonderful plants in this way as every time people look at their calendar they will see a brom, and this might prompt them to try growing some.

Just to add a little bit more info to your answer to Brian about “Frost Cloth”, Last year at our local Bunnings, I saw they also had it for sale. I just forget the price now but I remember thinking at the time that it wasn’t as expensive as I thought it would be. It was in the same section that they display their nylon bird netting and artificial grass.

Teresa – That’s a good point about the name label, as these are notorious for having the incorrect name, and there’s a saying among brom growers which says, “Never trust the name on a label” always check it out to verify it. Unfortunately it isn’t listed under that spelling either.

The Vrieseas in my Pic’s 3 and 5 yesterday were both pups taken from the same Mother plant, Vr. ‘Orange Sundae’. The plant in Pic.3 was grown in low light and the plant in Pic.5 in high light. It just shows what an influence light has on foliage colours of some plants.

I don’t think there’s anything which can make you feel more miserable than the “common cold”, it’s usually accompanied by general aches and pains as well as a stuffed up nose and sore throat and makes you feel absolutely “rotten”. Although I wish “Hubby” a speedy recovery, I’ll bet Miss Sugar doesn’t think the same way as she would much sooner have to stay on the bed and look after him.

Today’s pic’s are a few of Jack Koning’s new Vrieseas hybrids plus a couple of “ring-ins” I found on the WWW that I had to share with you. Pic.4 for those of you who like eating squid, and Pic.5 named, “Me and my little friend”.

All the best, Nev.