Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads - Autumn 2015, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads - Autumn 2015

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads - Autumn 2015
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - Where ever you are – It seems everyone is taking a spell from posting once again so I won’t say too much today except, a big “Hi” and get well soon for anyone on the sick list.

As for those of you who are time poor, I hope you can find a little time in the near future to slip in here occasionally and drop us a line, a picture or both.

Teresa – You can read all you like about these large tissue culturing organisations but it doesn’t really sink in until you see pictures of the actual magnitude of their operations. I know the first time I saw the pic’s I was “gob-smacked”.

I’ve heard of the saying, “a champagne taste on a beer income but, “something similar to an English stately home with huge conservatory attached creating a nice tropical oasis full of broms, orchids & a brugmansia or two”...........As Michael Caton said in the Australian movie “The Castle”…………… “tell her she’s dreaming”.

Trish – Sorry to hear you haven’t time to post much today, best put your feet up and relax and we’ll see you next time for a longer chat.

Just a little feedback about a question asked on here in a previous post; I don’t remember who asked, but the question was about the Thai brom’s and was the leaf stacking was due to fertiliser.

I looked up an old Brom Forum thread where those Thai pic’s had been shown, and that the same question had been asked. My brom friend Chanin Thurot who took the pic’s, asked some of the growers and this was his answer, “I'm hear that they to start the plants off with some food and then never again”.

All I can say is that I start my pups of with a little food and often they don’t get any more either, but I don’t get leaf stacking like that and that’s what led me to think it could be the climate.

Time to go and just another change with the pictures this morning. I though instead of the same old same old pic’s of brom’s over and over, just for a change I’d show a few of the different types of containers used for brom growing.

These pic’s were taken at a Thai brom show and as you can see, it very different to our shows. We have a standard type of pot we use for showing as the judging here is of the plant and not the pot.

In Thailand however they judge the whole lot, “plant and pot” as a complete package as they consider it all to be part of the competitor’s artistic skill with the correct selection of pot to properly compliment the plant. Who knows, some of you might just get some ideas from this.

All the best, Nev.