Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015.. , 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015..

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of  OUR BROMELIADS INTO 2015..
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
I have just been for my walk and enjoyed it as the morning is cool and no breeze at all. Lovely to walk and admire the gardens as I go.
Trish, enjoy your day off and have a very relaxing rest.

Teresa, I hope you are also enjoying some mild Autumn weather over there.
Give sugar a pat for me and I know she is behaving like the pretty lady she is...lol

Nev, I have been using long twigs from the gum trees for years to clean out the spider webs. Unless they were really messy, I usually left them alone as the spiders clean up lots of pests.
I did have a few of those larger squishy black ones that would get into the base of the pots...ugh...
Your idea of using the brush is great as you want the plants looking good for sale.
I used a long stick to clear away all the webs that accumulated around the shed and house eaves too. Winding it around as you do. The web is easily removed as you say. Wonderful that it is considering how sticky it can be.
I hope your plant sales do well.
I like the variety in those pics you posted. The one in the first pic is my favorite because , as you know, I love stripeys.

I am going out to do a bit of potting this morning. I have half a bucket of bulbs that I brought over from the house when I moved. Mostly daffies and they need to go into pots as they have been sitting in the bucket for months now.
I also have quite a few tulips to plant as well.
Its easier to pot them all as I can then move them when flowering is done.

The broms are all going to be moved around to make room and I want to arrange them where they will have some winter shelter.
I am following your suggestion, Nev, with my bill Hallelujah as there are now about 6 large pups and they do look lovely.
I have added a couple of new pics .
My neo Gespacho has 5 large pups and they all show lovely color and no ill effects from the sun although poor old mum is looking very old and sad.
Looking at the broms, I am going to have to remove some big pups and a lot of dead leaves. That will be a job for the weekend..

Pic 1...bill Red Behemoth is turning a beautiful pink which the pic doesnt show very well

pic 2... the noid bill is also such a lovely pink. I thought it was maybe Hallelujah before, but its more pink.

pic 3... bill Hallelujah is a bit pale as he has been shaded for a week by the quick growing brugmansia leaves. He is now back in the sun, so will soon color up again.

pic 4...neo Gespacho with the pretty pups and poor old mum.

pic 5... yet another of my paintings. Once I start , I like to keep going until the painting is done.
Using palette knives is quicker than brushes too.

Time I went and started on that potting.
take care
Jean.