Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hcmcdole

In reply to: Maple leaf begonia monster

Forum: Indoor Gardening and Houseplants

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Maple leaf begonia monster
hcmcdole wrote:
JoWalker,

That is a difficult question to answer. I'd hate to steer you wrong since some begonias don't mind extra water while some just quickly go downhill if overwatered slightly. I'd err on the side of caution until you had more of the same plant so you can experiment. Droopy leaves are sometimes the nature of the plant though. If they are healthy looking and have some rigidity to them I'd say that is the way it is supposed to be. Since the majority of leaves are upright, I'd also add that the plant looks close to perfection. You can trim the older leaves and try some propagation with those.

You are so correct on wanting winter to be over with but I know it will be early May or later before I begin the task of moving everything outside. Once I start moving things out, I do not bring them back inside until late October. Our alleged safe date is the middle of April but we've had a bizarre year a few years back where we got into the teens and then two years ago we had a begonia sale for our club and it was 34 the morning of (mid April).

Here are some photos of mother plants at the Orlando nursery I buy from for our club sale and my loaded pickup last May (the Saturday after Mother's Day).