Pacific Northwest Gardening: Spring Peepers!, 5 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

In reply to: Spring Peepers!

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Spring Peepers!
LakeLivingRos wrote:
Here are some photos of my spring peepers now!

Looking at my records, last year at my house there was a heavy snow about this time, and my crocus are flowering 2 weeks earlier! The weird one is my bluebells started to show.. on April 2nd, so they are WAY early this year.. along with some leafing out of my hardy fuschias.. One of my camellias is also in bloom 2 months earlier than last year!

I have slugs, it seems a population the same size as the human race exists in just my gardens alone.. and I will say I sprinkle coffee grounds everywhere which does seem to help, but honestly, I have pretty much given up trying to control them. It seems if I keep a pile of grass weeds (about 4 sq ft pile), they like to go to decomposing things, I don't know if that makes it worse or better, but they are there more than anywhere else, and I keep it at the back corner by plants that they have no interest in.. I also have gotten used to having tons of marigolds throughout the land, so I can just snip them with scissors if I feel the need to go on a rampage...

Some plants I just can't grow with the slugs, seems Pacific Northwest rain is very attractive environment for those guys!