Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Monkey Puzzle for Mipii, 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Monkey Puzzle for Mipii

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Monkey Puzzle for Mipii
ViburnumValley wrote:
Not just one - there are three volumes in the Manual of Cultivated Broad-leaved Trees & Shrubs series. Along with Bailey, Rehder, and Hortus III, you'll have a grand slam.

Gerd Krüssmann wrote some excellent texts. I found them very useful early in my career when I acquired them in the late 1980s - after they were published in translation by Timber Press. These opened my eyes to a broader range of plants from around the world, and gave great clues to where collections were located and specimens could be viewed.

It also turns out that the translator was a horticulturist from Ohio that I knew from participation in nurserymen trade shows and educational sessions in Columbus. Small world...

While these tomes don't list all the latest selections that have been produced in the last 30 years, they are still excellent plant descriptions, images, comparisons, and distribution references.

Put it on your gift list - bound to be a birthday, anniversary, or holiday opportunity coming up for someone...