Greenhouse: Pre-Build Advice., 1 by Tropicman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Tropicman

In reply to: Pre-Build Advice.

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Pre-Build Advice.
Tropicman wrote:
First what type soil to you have,sandy or clay?It needs to be at the highest point on your property.Does your yard drain well after a big rain?What type of tropicals are you planning to have? Keeping a greenhouse 55* in the winter time is expensive.I have a 20x30x12,using Lexan polycarb,steel frame,lean to greenhouse,north side is against the south side of my home,it is from east to west. Right now the temp is 36* outside,no wind at the moment,which is rare,where the second windiest city in United states,Amarillo Texas,and the temp inside is 52* with no heat at this time,have a 30,000 btu vent free propane with auto thermostat,it is set to come on if temps drop below 50*. I have 3 20inch box fans running all the time,up high circulating the air.If the temps drop to single temps,I have another 30,000 btu propane heater,and if the temps fall below zero,I have a barrel wood stove for a back up source of heat. It cost me around $500 to heat the greenhouse thru the winter,and another $250 in a chord of wood.My wall structure is double walled with a 2inch space between the panels,I have 3 exhaust fans,along with a misting system as the summers are real hot here. I grow bananas,palms,hibiscus,plumerias,and many shade tropicals,and have 50% shade cloth on the roof panels. This is the third winter for this greenhouse,make sure you keep it tightly sealed,to stop the cold air drafts,will save you many dollars.