Photo by Melody

Daylilies: What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?, 1 by taylordaylily

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright taylordaylily

In reply to: What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What was your favorite daylily companion for 2014?
taylordaylily wrote:
Sandy, I don't dig my Gladiola's. I have had the same Gladiola's for 5 years in the ground in zone 6a. They bloom every year. I'm not going to tell them they are only suppose to be hardy to zone 8. Lol I'm always willing to try pushing zones. :-) Sometimes It works and others not. I'm not a dig and store gardener. If I take the time to put it in the ground, that's where it stays. Unless, I decide it will look better in a different garden. Which happens often.

Ibartoo, Your Maxmillian Sunflower will be taller this year and 10' or more by the third year. Maxmillian Sunflower will spread by roots and seed. My problem is I planted mine to feed birds. So, I leave mine stand during winter and hack it down in early Spring. But, it's planted out away from any structure to stake it to. Wind takes down any staking I try. Then the Maxmillian is flopped all over my garden and looks a hot mess. Lol I have other tall late season bloomers that I like better. My favorite is Silphium perfoliatum ( cup plant) it never needs staking. Pictured below. I also have a cut leaf coneflower that gets about 6' tall. I'll try to find a picture of the coneflower.