Shade Gardening: Moss?, 5 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

In reply to: Moss?

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Moss?
LakeLivingRos wrote:
I love moss and encourage it instead of grass. I have been slowly trying to switch out my grass for either thyme or moss or some sort of ground cover.. Moss can be slippery over concrete surfaces, but not on dirt surfaces.

Just so you guys can see the comparison between the different groundcovers..

Photo #1: thyme area on the left of walkway versus grass on the right and lower area. Thyme keeps it's color during drought, you don't have to mow or water it, it has a wonderful scent, and it flowers! Grass is a water hog, looks bad during drought, and you have to mow all the time.

#2: Moss groundcover in shade area next to thyme. Maintains color, no mowing (just scissor back if it goes on pavers). It also flowers.

#3: thyme section (which is over crocus and other spring bulbs, it helps keep the squirrels from digging them up!!).

#4. Moss area. I used to have grass here, which grew fine, but I hated mowing the tiny strip. Moss is so much easier here, and looks great.

#5: Moss area where grass won't grow and where the pavers make it impossible to mow or too time consuming to use weedwacker.