Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014, 5 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES AND ADDICTS - JULY 2014
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, All I have done today with my broms was to move some seedlings out of a transport rack so that I can put in another shelf or 2. The seedlings will get better light where they are now, actually some morning to midday sun. They also got a drink.
We have found another chemical that is a lot safer to use on fly speck scale. The active ingredient is Acetamiprid. Some use Crown, but that is for the large growers as it is expensive. Some groups are buying it and sharing it around, also sharing the cost.
I am using Defender Max Guard that I buy from Bunnings. I use as directed on the bottle. It is similar to Confidor but 200 times less likely to harm bees and wildlife. It is systemic and supposedly stays within the plant for 104 days. Spray once and the job is done.
Trish It has been a challenge to do much more than what is necessary, I think this is the coldest winter I have experienced in Mackay. Ros has been working in Dalby for the last 2 months, just so we can pay the bills. That is where I am heading as soon as I can sell this house. I will be taking most of my plants with me and then learn or relearn how to grow them under those conditions.
Shirley, I am not going to the south pole, but to Dalby or somewhere near it.Yes I will miss the tropic climate but not the city. I am country and ya can't take the country out of the kid.
Colleen, I have been in touch with Colin in Dalby and I am sure I could learn a trick or two from him. He grows his plants for show, not sales and has over 20 years experience with them. I have never heard of rooting broms in lawn clippings before but why not. Whatever medium that works, works. I might just try it sometime in the future.
Teresa I feel for you with that cold/ flue/ whatever. I use a hot lemon and honey with a dash of vinegar to soothe the throat. I often take Vitamin C tablets and this works for me. I won't recommend alcohol, but each to their own. Keep warm and look after yourself.
Nev I am on again off again, just trying to find time to do the things I ought to do can be a struggle. That plant was sprayed bu flicking out a paintbrush carelessly and it was not the only one. In March I went to a brom meeting at Bluewater, a bit North of Townsville and met quite a few new friends. Most of them are young and have a strong passion for collecting broms. I Think there were about 25 members there and maybe 6-8 over 50 yrs. Not many of them with more experience than me but have listened more carefully so they have made less mistakes than I have. Last month here in Mackay we had a couple come down from Innisfail and they gave us a talk on both hybridising and Scale control. They also had plants for sale.
Have a good one.
Ian
Pic 1-3 Ae Valencia
Pic 4-5 Bil horrida var tigrina