Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: What can I do with potted shrubs over the winter?, 5 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: What can I do with potted shrubs over the winter?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of What can I do with potted shrubs over the winter?
shortleaf wrote:
Depending on what it is in the pot, I always have plants in pots that overwinter fine in the pot.
In some cases I've found out it's best to leave a plant in a pot outside to go dormant rather than bring it in.
About 4 years ago, I brought into the unheated garage a whole bunch of plants in pots.
I couldn't believe how many died in there. These 3 roses called Magic Roses from Springhill all died apparently because it was too warm in the garage and they never went dormant like I planned.
Anyway, my friend always reminds me how, "I killed her roses".
I never water plants outside that have gone dormant. After I disconnect the garden hoses for the Winter the watering duties are over outside! Just being stupid there, but I never water in the Winter, outside.
It's cool to cold here in the Winter, it rains (it's raining now) and snows here pretty often in the Winter. I've never found a need for supplemental water in the Winter, outside. I have 35 or so houseplants indoors and I water them every 2 or 3 days.
I've found out that about 98% of my plants in pots overwinter and survive in pots outside, IF THEY'RE HARDY.
I've even had plants or seeds in fountain drink cups or dixie cups over the Winter that grow and come out fine.
That mulch and all that's mentioned is a guarantee though that, most anything that's hardy, will make it.
I've rarely done mulch to any pots outside but one might even guarantee a little more survival that way.
The way I've looked at it here is that plants in pots are 2 zones or so more susceptible when left in a pot. For example, a plant in a pot with no mulch or any protection that is hardy to zone 5b or 6a is a pretty good gamble outside in the Winter. I've noticed that a plant in a pot (even with no protection) that's rated, for ex., zone 3b thru 5a or so is almost a sure bet to come back in the Spring.
The ones that die, you get the receipt and take them back to the store..lol
Will

This message was edited Nov 6, 2013 1:27 AM