Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 5 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all I did some culling yesterday and not much else except for transplanting about 300 seedlings. I think there were 14 trays of culls. I got some room to start again.
Sue my Ae Gigantea has changed into Ae Pink Panther, well the label has anyway as per information from another site. Neo compacta seems to be a very variable sized plant and colours up when it is ready whether in the shade or full sun. Neo macwilliamsii seems a bigger plant as you say and when it colours up it has spots of a yellowish colour in the red.
I have added pics of both, the first 3 are of compacta and the second pic has pollen dust over the plant that can give an illusion of spots in the red centre. Pic 4 Is Neo macwilliamsii close up showing the spots and Pic 5 shows the single plant that I have. It is about 14" or350mm wide. Thanks for the pic of Ae kertezsiae. It matches with my single plant and looks like my daughters clump , from memory.
Jean I wish I could grow Cymbidiums here but alas it is too hot and they won't set flower, so all I get is a green plant. Phalenopsis do better. I like your pics. What happened to Chantini rose.
Cody I did a bit of culling and potting yesterday and not much else. More of both to do today.
Where is the Mason Dixon line. The people south of it were Yankees and the northerners were The Confederates. I am just curious. Here is a hug a smile and a wave for you today.
Shirley the prickly ones I don't like are the prickly pear family, with their clusters of very fine prickles. I used to have Teddy bear and I think that I have eventually lost it.
Nev nah I drank it along the way but Ididkickthetinalong. I only go up to about 8" on styrafoam sheet with my elks. I have another Gespachio here somewhere, I'll try to find it today. It got badly burned last year along with a few others. My shadecloth ought to arrive today or tomorrow (tomorra) and then I can protect some more of my plants. One big surprise at the moment is a Ae chiante Jean that is out in full sun is not burned, it is being bleached though. My Ae manzanaresiana has burn marks. It is sitting on a shelf open to the North but with70% shadecloth over the top. This is another area that I will have to do something about.
Bree good onya for stayin. Camelot is a beautiful plant. Mine is different, it got burnt. Yours gives me something to look forward to as it comes back.
Have a good one
Ian
Pics 1,2,3 Neo compacta.
Pics4,5 Neo macwilliamsii.