Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - August 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Here we are at the start of another new week already, aren't they flying past? I got a bit more dead leafing done yesterday and today I have to do some more of the same as well as seeing if I can get the computer doctor to make a house call and diagnose and treat my sick computer. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a refund from Medicare.

Theresa – That's interesting what you say about the RSA having the Fire, Police, and Ambulance services included in the membership; I don't think the same applies to the RSL unless of course they also served in the armed services, but I don't know for sure as I'm not a member. I've often thought there should be some sort of separate club for the volunteer services as well to recognise the good work they do all around the country.

I know here in NSW we have the S.E.S. which grew from the war time Civil Defence Organisation which had a membership of people who didn't meet the medical standards for military service or who worked in protected industries, NSW Bushfire Brigades which are now the NSW Rural Fire Service, Volunteer Coastal Patrol, Coast Guard, Volunteer Rescue Association, Aerial Patrol and probably a few more I don't know about; and these men and women have given and still give their time freely to help others in time of war, natural disasters and other emergencies and without them the full time emergency services just wouldn't be able to meet the demand.

Ian – Seems like you're still getting stuff done around your place as well.

I've always been fascinated by the flowers on some of the Quesnelias, especially Quesnelia quesnelia, Quesnbeia Testudo and Quesnelia Arvensis, the beautiful colour of the flowers is hard to accurately describe and they always remind me of crepe paper for some strange reason.

Shirley – I'm always on the lookout for new marble type plants, but not very successful in finding them. There are a quite a few new hybrids being made in N.Z. but I don't know if they've reached Australia yet although they probably will in time.

Now that you come to mention it, Trish has been absent for a while, but then she was bogged down with “paper work” for some time so maybe she's trying to catch up with her brom work or even gone away for a bit of a break. If you're reading this Trish, drop us a quick line to tell us you're OK.

Nice pic's you've posted again Shirley unfortunately I still can't enlarge them. Neo. 'Marble Throat' is the plant that was used for a lot of the crossings that produced the marbled types we have today. I don't know about yours,but my plant is quite a bit smaller than the other marbled types. I also like the Neo. 'Glacua', I haven't seen that one before so please add it to my wish list.

Cody- Hi Cody, I suppose you're getting ready for bed as I've just been up for a couple of hours now, so good night to you both.

Time to go and today's pic's are more marbled types. Pic's 1 and 2 are both Neo.'Marble Snow' x Neo.'Marble Pink' seedlings, Pic.3 was named Neo.'Pink River' but it's very different to the one I posted yesterday, Pic.4 is Neo.'Snow Pink' and Pic.5 is Neo.'Marble Pink'.

All the best, Nev.