Photo by Melody

Perennials: How do you wind down a perennial garden?, 5 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: How do you wind down a perennial garden?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How do you wind down a perennial garden?
Pfg wrote:
In my experience butterfly bushes have a lot of deadwood in the spring and need trimming. A pro friend of mine recommends cutting them way back in the spring so they grow fuller than if left alone.

My garden was neglected during two separate long periods, the second, lasting 4 or 5 years, ending when I arrived. Most of the initial plantings were very old, especially the shrubs. Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Box, evergreens and a few decorative trees are still doing well, some at least 50 years old. DH had done quite a lot of perennial planting during the 80's and 90's, but then became less active. I arrived in 2007.

Pic 1, 2007: Daylilies hadn't been moved for at least 20 years by then, maybe more. They had become huge clumps, still flowering their heads off. 4 big clumps remain, along the top wall, still not touched by me. Peonies also thrive in the same area, without any of my efforts. Siberian Iris did well, filling a large section, spectacular when they bloomed.

Pic 2, 2007: Another section had been planted with tall grasses, which are still wonderful.

Pic 3, 2008: Hosta had naturalized all over the place, even in full sun. I've left many of the huge clumps in place. Wonderful weed smotherers!

Pic 4, 2012: Old Peonies flowering along the top wall.

Pic 5, 2013: Daylilies along the top wall are old clumps, alternating with the peonies. I'm continuing the theme down to the end, but haven't finished it yet. The central beds have been renovated and re-shaped.

Other naturalizers were Phlox, Monarda (in shade), Cimicifuga (open shade), Echinops Ritro, Aquilegias, Hardy Geraniums, yellow Monkshood, Baptisia, Lobelia Siphilitica, Digitalis Grandiflora, Siberian Iris, Ferns (almost too well!), to name only a few.

Many beds were invaded with various nasties, but the perennials survived. I'm hoping to develop the 'survival' theme, adding higher maintenance plants sparingly in areas that are easy to get to.

I hope this gives you some ideas, and some encouragement that what you want to do is possible!