Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013, 5 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - July 2013
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Yeah finally the weekend and no plans other than going for a walk on the beach tomorrow morning, then back home to spend quality time with my broms, a bit of weeding of garden beds and washing windows.

Hi Shirley glad to hear you had a better day than the day before. Thanks yes I am thrilled to bits it’s the weekend and already have things mentioned above that I want to get done this weekend if all goes to plan and hopefully we experience no interruptions of any sort. Joe got the grocery shopping out the road today as he had an RDO so I am pleased about not having to worry about that.

Shirley pretty brom pics you posted, I especially liked Pic 4 NOID with the lilac centre. Can you please tell me does the colour get more intense than this?

Hi Cody I hope your well. Yes Nev was very kind sending such beautiful seedling to us and I am really enjoying caring for them and watching them grow and colour up. I am relatively new at growing broms from seed but Nev actually goes one step further and creates his own crosses etc as well as a lot of other people here on this forum. I have not tried this yet and anything that I have collected seed pods from has been self-pollinated by nature so I really do not know whether the brom is crossed with itself of some other brom in the garden, it’s like a lucky dip you just don’t know what you are going to get and only time will tell when the seedling matures and colours up, or it could turn out to be something you just can’t identify and then I will have to label as a NOID.

Hi Sue no worries I will let you know how my experiment with freezing avocado slices go, worth a try. Whilst at work today I finally remembered who told us about being able to freeze them and it was actually a local avocado farmer here in Townsville that sells their avo’s at our local market.

Sue thanks heaps for identifying my NOID Pic’s 4 & Pic 5 yesterday, I am thrilled to bits I get to write it a label tomorrow. It has such a cute flower which reminds me of coloured ribbon really. I have it growing under our lemon tree where it gets morning sun and have it in the same spot all year round.

Sue that horrible, sorry to hear your daughter still has not got her puppy back or other items that were taken. There are some really nasty people in this world.

Hi Nev thanks for answering my questions about your Neo’ ‘Lovely Lady’, now it makes total sense to me why they look different, I just thought the Thai one was a much older brom with the layers of leaves but it’s the different climate conditions that alter things so much. Learn something new every day on this forum which is great so thanks for explaining the reasons why.

Nev thanks very much for the history on Billbergia Nutans, I will have to send my Mum a pup as she lives in VIC and I know Mum would luv to see such a delicate flower coming from such a cut petite brom. I did not realise they were so bullet proof and have been handling mine with kid gloves.

Nev thanks for the “marbled’ types BCR link you provided, I will take a closer look at the link after finishing this tread as I am not up to speed on how many have been registered. Nev lovely brom pics you posted, especially liked Pic 5 Neo’ ‘Purple ‘Glaze”. What a great way you write on your labels, I will have to remember that as would make writing tags so much easier and a fantastic way to track all history. Nev thanks for the heads up on my Vriesea ‘Guttata’ and how grasshoppers luv devouring the flower, see another thing I have learnt today. I have never seen this one flower so something to look forward to and I will look at bringing it inside and keeping it in with my other vrieseas in our entertainment area where grasshoppers can get in.

Look forward to chatting with you all over the weekend!

Hi to anyone looking in or on the Sick List!

Take Care and Happy Gardening!

Trish

Pic 1 & 2 – My Vr’ seedlings
Pic 3 – Vr’ ‘Scarlet Rose’
Pic 4 – Joe’s Orchid flowering, I can find out name if anyone wants to know?
Pic 5 – Old pic ‘Night Shot’