Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013, 5 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - May 2013
works4me wrote:
Hi everyone,

It has been raining here today on and off, some heavy showers but mostly just nuisance rain.

Nev, thanks for the info on Vr Forrest … it’s odd that the seed parent would be unknown but I agree that Vr Platynema Variegata was in there somewhere.

Tash, I am looking forward to many of my vrieseas ‘growing up’ and vr Forrest is one of the really nice ones that is still quite small. I have had a bit of a vriesea ‘thing’ lately and an aechmea ‘thing’ too for that matter … and I have bought a few neos as well, just can’t help myself.

Tash, love your pics … what is the alc on the left of Alc Devine Plum with the purplish leaves, please.

Trish, more lovely garden pics.

I thought I would post some pics of my seedlings. I remember some time back saying I didn’t think I would grow broms from seed as it was such a painfully slow process and I don’t have a whole lot of patience.

Well, Nev sent me seed, then Wendy gave me seed and Sue sent me MORE seed … so I HAD to give it a go. I am now well and truly hooked and I’m out there amongst the broms looking for flowers and seed pods and madly sowing seed, mostly neos. I have lots more, in fact, I have three little 4 shelf greenhouses full of seedlings … can’t wait to see how they turn out. I have no idea of the pollen parent of the majority of them but they’re all beautiful babies!!!

Pics 1 – 5 are pics of some of my ‘babies’

Bye for now, Shirley