Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts - Jan 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It's starting to warm up here this morning and they have forecast another “hot one” expected to be in the high thirties or low forties, let's hope they've got it wrong.

Trish – Sorry to hear you still haven't shaken that rotten “wog”. Maybe you're overworking yourself and are a bit “run down” and that's the reason. Maybe a dose of “Seasol” would perk you up a bit, Ha! Ha!. I shouldn't laugh though as there's nothing can make you feel more miserable than a summer cold or worse still, the flu.

Like you I catch my grasshoppers in the mornings when they are slower particularly while I am watering as they like to hide beneath the leaves and this seems to flush them out. I just pull off the heads and toss them out on the grass and either the Magpies or Seagulls will get rid of the rest of them for me.

Shirley – the Ae. Recurvata 'Blushing Pineapple' (unreg.) is a pretty good grower and pupper and for me reaches a height of around 8 – 9 inches. The one in the pic was a pup growing off the side of another which was in a 5 inch pot.

Your plant in Pic.2 looks very much like Neo 'Glorious' which is one of the many “Aussie Dream” grex bred by Bob Larnach.

I don't know where everyone is but I hope you're all back soon and as usual a big “cherrio” to anyone on the sick list and get well soon.

I'll finish with firstly some pic's of my now finished “wind shutters” in the open position (Pic's. 1,2 and 3); notice the cooked tree fern compliments of the heatwave last Thursday week. Pic 4 shows a bit more heat damage, this time to a Vr. Phillipo Cobergii, however not as bad as it looks, Pic 5 shows a group of Portea Petropolitana Extensa flowering in the front garden and which weren't damaged by the heat at all.

All the best, Nev.