Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and Addicts - Dec 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – Not a very nice day down here yesterday; and although the temperature was only 39, when combined with the high humidity it really became quite uncomfortable. Fortunately the hall where we had our society Christmas Party had good air conditioning, so for the most part of the day we were quite comfortable, but didn't we know it when we got away from the air conditioning when the party finished.

I spent some time talking to a couple of new members at our party, and it looks like I have a couple of converts to the hobby of brom seed growing, so the quest for the perfect brom goes on.

Sue – Sorry to hear you have a cold, especially at this time of the year. I don't think there's anything so common that can make you feel so miserable, especially during the warmer weather.

That's nice colour you have in the variegated “Blanchy”, unfortunately we don't see them down this way. Also, that's a really nice looking Neo. 'De Rolf ' and a great way to start the new thread with a “bang”.

Ian – You do occasionally get a few seeds that can't wait for the pod to be opened before they start growing (fortunately not very often). I have on a couple of occasions also had seed germinate in the water in the cups of Neoregelias where I have squeezed some seed just for the hell of it.

You say you think your Aechmea may have crossed with Gamosepala, I tend to agree as I have found Ae. Gamosepala to be the most promiscuous of any brom, and it seems to want to breed with anything it can. Unfortunately the majority of the resulting flowers all tend to look like Gamosepala albeit often in different colours.

Best of luck with the “mother to be” moving in, I hope you've brushed up on your "emergency childbirth" skills Ha! Ha!

Breeindy – I like the colours in your pup of Neo.“Bob's Dream”, I have one called Neo 'Bob's Baby' which is a Grace Goode hybrid from Neo 'Aussie Dream' x Neo. 'Aussie Dream' . Your plant is another of Grace Goode's and was made by crossing Neo 'Bob's Baby' F2 with Neo. 'Lovely Lady' (which is also one of the Aussie Dream grex).Neo. 'Bob's Dream' has superior colouring to Bob's Baby and is a beautiful plant and when mature, has a large spreading habit. See: http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?genus=NEOREGELIA&i...

I have to agree with you, Lambert's Pride and Cane Fire are both great plants; I have a plant called Neo 'Red Veil' but unfortunately I've never heard of Neo 'Dark Veil' so I can't help you with any other info about it.

Shirley – I did have a great time at our Christmas Party. As for a pup from Ae. 'Rodco' I seem to remember Sue was growing it so maybe she can help you out with a pup.

I love all of your pic's; when you see all of the different colours mixed up like that, it really makes all the hard work worthwhile doesn't it?

Before I go I'd like to just say “good day” to all of our members who are AWOL for various reasons and wish anyone on the sick list a speedy recovery. Finally I'll finish with some random pic's I took around the back yard early yesterday morning.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Dec 1, 2012 1:10 PM