Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012, 5 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi All!

Both Joe and I had a huge day in the garden today pruning shrubs, weeding and cleaned around the swimming pool area to make room for Yes Some More Broms as we want to inject more colour around the pool area as there is too much green everywhere, anyway I ended up pruning back a big group of Cardboard Cycads that had taken over a garden bed area around the pool and we are going to get a crow bar in there and split some of the Cardboard Cycad up a bit and give some of it away to a friend. I did have a couple of broms in this area but we could not see them because they were under the Cycad hidden from light, surprisingly they were in good condition and even had a bit of colour so I will keep them there. We also have a normal Cycad in the area that is growing well but is getting attacked by grey moths so we are looking at treating with something we downloaded from the internet but I can’t find where I put the piece of paper Nev lol. We also want to plant some more Lipstick Palms in pots instead of in the garden and have a few of these around the pool in big pots, hopefully we will get these in before Xmas so we can sit back and enjoy our revamped area over our time off together.

Shirley it is not that sad been allergic to fresh mango as frozen thawed out mango chilled tastes pretty good and I luv the stuff I dehydrate when I get the chance to do so. Shirley my Vr. Seedlings are also growing ever so slow but I can now see them without wearing my reading glasses which is great as this means they are definitely growing. Yes finally I got Neo Flirtation and I luv it because its shape is just a little bit different how it spirals beautifully and I luv when the morning sun hits it at a certain angle all the colours that shine through are so lovely. I often pick it up and take it over to Joe to show him how nice it looks first thing in the morning when we are sitting down having a cup of tea outside and I walk around the garden admiring all my broms whilst rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, can life get any better than that lol. Shirley I adore your pic of your gorgeous nursery that looks so organised, full of beautiful broms that look like they all have plenty of room to grow, you should be very proud of what a great job you are doing with them all flowering and pupping merrily.

Nev that’s great what you are going with your six friends getting them to experiment growing broms from seed, they could not have a better teacher than you. It is amazing how many people we know that have never bothered ever trying to grow anything in their life and they do not have any hobbies or interests whatsoever, I feel sad for them. They always look bored with life and seem amazed when they see what we get up to, so I try to get some of it to rub off on them just a bit before they leave our place by either teaching them something about gardening or getting them to interact with our pouches if they do not have any pets. They normally leave hear with a brom or two or some herbs or tomato plants and this pleases me greatly because just for a while you get to see a bit of life in their eyes because they have experienced something different, and then in a week or two it’s nice to get an unexpected call to say everything is still alive and growing and they are thinking of trying to grow some from seed or buy some seedlings the next time the go to the market, and furthermore that they went out and brought a brom book to read as they really liked the one’s we gave them, this really makes my day. Nev I cracked up laughing when you told the story about the boy and girl growing vegetable plants from seed and what the girls said, too funny. But that is how kids are now days; they get straight to the point, no mucking around lol. Great to hear my Neo Mc Williamsii looks to be in the perfect spot, it gets a good amount of light from morning until about 12noon. Nev thanks for explaining the small shelves you have built for your seedling broms, great idea and what a wonderful way to recycle rather than them getting back filled at the tip. Thanks for correcting me on my typo with Neo Grace Goode Girl and providing me with link and background, I really enjoy going into the links that you kindly provide, thank you so much. Great pics Nev, how beautiful are all those flowers, your broms look really nice and healthy, you do such a great job with them all as I am always impressed with the pics you post.

Bree WOW nice Gympies you have there, are they a favourite amongst your other mini’s? I like each and every one of the pics you posted. I just did not realise how many are out there until Nev told us, which is great because now I want to collect as many as I can of them.

Anyway time to put the kettle on and maybe watch a movie? I hardly ever sit still long enough to watch a movie and when I do I normally fall asleep lol. Joe and I are walking around a little big sore after our big day in the garden today, especially when you sit for a bit then have to get up and its’ like ouch, ouch, ouch until your muscles warm up lol, but we keep saying to one another what a great day we have had and are pleased with all that we accomplished today.

Tomorrow will be a bit slower as I move broms into the swimming pool garden bed area and organise them into some sort of nice mixed up order.

Until then take care everyone, speak soon and Happy Gardening!

Hi to everyone who may be looking in.

Trish

Pic 1 How pretty is this Orchid that has just flowered for Joe
Pic 2 Neo Shining Example
Pic 3 Nid Ruby Lee
Pic 4 Neo Grace Darling x Morris Henry Hobbs
Pic 5 Neo So Near